'Religious Education is the core of the curriculum in a Catholic school'
Pope St John Paul II
The values which guide and inspire us in our Christian lives are those given to us in the Gospels. They are our Gospel values.
The core Gospel values based on the Beatitudes may be summarized as follows:
- "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven"
Values: Faithfulness and Integrity
- "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"
Values: Dignity and Compassion
- "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth"
Values: Humility and Gentleness
- "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied"
Values: Truth and Justice
- "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy"
Values: Forgiveness and Mercy
- "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God"
Values: Purity and Holiness
- "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God"
Values: Tolerance and Peace
- "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of slander against you because of me. Be glad and rejoice for your reward is great in heaven; they persecuted the prophets before you in the very same way"
Values: Service and Sacrifice
Gospel values "...are a guarantee of peace and of collaboration among all citizens in the shared commitment to serving the common good."